Thursday, June 26, 2008

The "Snack Lunch"

This is a great little lunch that's a staple in our household. It got started back when Natalie was little and has been a favorite of hers as a toddler and now both kids love it and ask for it by name several times per week.

So what is this snack lunch, you're asking? I found these handy round muffin tins that have 6 holes in them. Each cup I fill with a different food for lunch. Some days I do better than others, but I usually aim for a fruit, veggie, protein, whole grain and a nut or nut butter in the lunch.

Top reasons my kids love their "snack lunch":
• It comes in a fun plate/container
• Pretty much everything can be eaten with fingers!
• Frequently there are dips - condiments and dipping are always popular at our house
• They usually get to pick some of the foods that appear on the snack lunch plate

Top reasons *I* love to make a "snack lunch" for my kids:
• Can be prepared in under 5 minutes
• My kids will clean their plates with no complaints
• I can guarantee that my children are getting some of each major food group
• They can have the "same" lunch 2-3 times per week without it being totally the same

Here's a few pictures of my kids enjoying their snack lunch!







No, I don't make my kids wear name tags at home......I can usually remember who they are. LOL! This day Natalie had just gotten home from VBS (vacation bible school).

1 comment:

Heather - Hopelessly Flawed said...

Great idea! Now...where did you get those muffin tins?

LOL on the nametags!